The Oscars is known to be the most fancy awards show of all. I’m personally most interested in what gowns, shoes and jewelry the women are wearing – especially the actresses with nominations. But do you ever wonder how these actresses get ahold of the newest gowns straight off the runway? Or how they can afford to have millions of dollars worth in jewels?
The key to a winning, updated look on the red carpet: a professional stylist. A stylist is Hollywood’s not-so-little secret to looking amazing. What does a stylist do, you ask? It depends on the event. But for the Oscars, only the top stylists will be enlisted and they will sometimes be dressing more than one actress that night. Needless to say, awards season is incredibly busy for a top fashion stylist like Rachel Zoe.
What a stylist (let’s say Rachel Zoe) will do for an actress (let’s use Kate Hudson, who is actually a Rachel Zoe client) during Oscar season:
– make calls to all her connections at the showrooms of top couture gown designers such as Oscar de la Renta, Christian Dior, Marchesa and Carolina Herrera to borrow their runway samples. Rachel and her team will do the same for handbags and shoes.
– choose which sample options work best for Kate, which means Rachel must have a good relationship with Kate to understand her personal sense of style and taste
– once Rachel has collected a rack of gown samples from all the designers, she will do a fitting with Kate to choose the best ones
– fot valuable jewelry such as Neil Lane, Bvlgari, Chopard or Harry Winston, Rachel will often go to the flagship boutiques and borrow the jewelry. However, there is a limit to how many items she can borrow, since each stylist must have enough insurance coverage to have these priceless gems in their care
– most of the time, Rachel and Kate will choose at least 2 look options for Oscar day (it’s always wise to have a back-up!), along with matching hair and make up
– on Oscar day, Rachel and her team will spend time with each client to help her get ready for the big day; they will take care of her up until she leaves to attend the awards show
– at the end of the day, Kate pays Rachel for her services, does not pay for the gown, jewelry or accessories, but she will return them all to Rachel the next day. It is a win-win situation: Kate looks like a million bucks without spending a million bucks!
In the field of styling, as in any, there is always a bit of drama involved. Sometimes stylists will want the same dress for different actresses, or sometimes gown samples don’t arrive from Paris to LA in time. There is always the issue that a gown will not fit the actress, at which point if I were the client I would want to curl up and die. That’s why the key to picking the best stylist for you is if they are willing to get to know you, which designers they have relationships with, if they react well in fashion emergencies and if you really love their personal taste.
Who wants to get dressed for the Oscars now? Couture, priceless jewelry and amazing shoes – there’s not much more a mostrendy girl could ask for.