Did you ever notice that teeth can make or break the beauty of someone’s face? The other day I saw photos on a gossip blog of a model who had clearly had one too many smokes and/or cups of coffee. It was gross, her face is beautiful but her look was completely ruined by grey teeth. I don’t want that to happen to you, so a few words about our mouths.
It’s pretty clear that brushing and flossing is step 1 in order to create a great overall look. Some people say bright, healthy teeth can even make you look younger, and studies have shown that brushing your teeth regularly can prevent a stroke (although not a lot of us young kids are worried about that yet).
We only have one set of teeth to last us most of our lives, so we have to take great care of them. Sure, it’s not the end of the world if you have to have a tooth removed and the dentist replaces it with an implant – your mouth looks the same. But, think of your teeth as very valuable assets. They help you eat delicious foods, they help keep your tongue in your mouth and did you know? Human teeth are as strong as shark teeth!
Moreover, your body reacts poorly to tooth loss and poor mouth care. The more kinds of bacteria there are in your mouth, the more kinds of bacteria can enter your bloodstream and can cause a myriad of issues such as high cholesterol and heart disease. Such serious ailments over a dirty mouth!
We don’t want that to happen to us! Which is why we follow this easy, non-time consuming mouth care regimen. The most important time is at night, because your mouth will be clean for 6-8 hours, depending on how long you sleep:
– Floss between all teeth, including behind your very last molars – you must floss before you brush at night!
– Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes using a fluoride rich toothpaste, remember NOT to rinse your mouth because you want to keep all the fluoride on your teeth for as long as possible (fluoride helps to strengthen tooth enamel, which will then prevent cavities from forming).
– Do not eat or drink (not even water) after you have already brushed. You will wake up to a clean, happy mouth!
– Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes using your favorite toothpaste
– Brush your tongue to rid yourself of any potential bad breath
– Carry on your day enjoying your pearly whites!
Avoid having sugary drinks during the day like sodas or fruit juices with sugar added
Avoid drinking coffee or tea as much as you can
Avoid smoking cigarettes, chewing tobacco and betel nuts as these habits also stain your teeth (and smoking cigs is so 90’s)
Now that my schpiel is over, I hope that you take it to heart and continue to be mostrendy fashionistas – starting with great teeth!
(Sources: ada.org, aaas.org, webmd.com, dailymail.co.uk)